Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Sixteenth Tale: I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends.

Today I want to talk to you all about something that's on my mind every time I have made a cross-country trip: friends and friendship. It's really strange, but I think about my friendships in my life and there are only a few people that I really feel connected to. The number of friends I feel I can truly count on fits on less than two hands...still, I consider myself to be SO lucky to have these people in my life.

That being said, what does true friendship mean to me? I guess I have pretty high standards for friends...but who you keep company with, in my opinion, who you share your precious time on this Earth with reflects a lot about how you feel about yourself. A friend, for me, is first and foremost someone who takes the time out of his or her schedule every once in a while just to check in and see how you are doing. A friend is someone who will make the effort to tell you that they are thinking about you and that they care about you. In other words, a friend is appreciative to have you in his or her life. A friend does not take you for granted; period. A friend comes to you for advice, and is happy to offer his or hers when it's obviously needed. A friend loves you unconditionally, and is quick to point out your many good qualities as opposed to pointing out your obvious flaws. A friend recognizes when you're hurting yourself, and gently and lovingly points it out to you. A friend is not afraid to tell you the truth when you most need to hear it. A friend is forgiving, even after you've hit a bump together. The best friend will continue to cultivate the friendship when it most needs cultivating.

Friendships are relationships, plain and simple; they are just like romantic relationships, without the obvious physical aspects. Even when you have a spouse or significant other, in my opinion, these relationships should have just as much importance in your life. I know I don't have a significant other and so it's easy to say that, but I believe this with all of my heart.

I truly give thanks for those who have supported and loved me when I most needed it, when I have felt unable to pick myself up. You know who you are. Thank you SO much. I love my friends, and I carry your hearts in my heart in every step of every journey I take across this vast world. I am always here for you, no matter how far away we may be.

Much, much love,
XOXO
Anna <3

No comments:

Post a Comment