Sunday, February 20, 2011

Third Tale: Texting Mr. Kierkegaard...

Lots of thoughts going on these days...

Sometimes I feel like I'm really happy to be on this Earth, to be alive and enjoying all of this craziness. However, sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the possibility of being alive for a long time from now (I mean, who knows, really), and even eventually bringing children into this world. I think about technology and how quickly it's taken over our lives. I think about the sudden instability of things that once seemed like the Titanic, and then I think...what's left for us to create that cannot also destroy us?

The idea of change can be great, but it can also be scary. Right now, there is a domino effect of governments being destabilized around the globe. Christian fundamentalism is seeping more and more into the cracks in the U.S. government. The elite few in power feel threatened by the poor/middle class and are trying to squash them by oppressing unions and cutting funding for important social programs that would benefit them. People like Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin are being taken seriously (that fact alone is enough to make me want to off myself for being human and therefore associated with them somehow). Scientific fact is being ousted completely in favor of a more 'Christlike' view of things. I feel like I'm living in an alternate universe than the one in which I was born.

At this point, should I just agree with Mr. Kierkegaard and throw any meaning that I found in life out the window? Should I play the "glad game" from Pollyanna and find something to be glad about for everything I find to be negative? I feel I wouldn't mind so much and could learn to just appreciate things for their simplicity and beauty if it meant I could truly ignore all of the clamor happening around me, but somehow that doesn't seem right...and maybe then I'd be just as bad as those creating the problems in the first place.

Anyway, sorry for depression central, but blogs are for word and thought vomit. Hope you don't get too much of mine on you.


<3, Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment